International DNA databases
GeneWatch UK, the Council for Responsible Genetics and Privacy International are working together on the Forensics Genetics Policy Initiative to develop international standards in this area. Visit our website.
These pages provide information about the state of development of DNA databases worldwide.
To find press articles, click on the alphabetical menu on the right to find the country you are looking for (note that these pages are still under development and that articles are currently only available in English).
For a comprehensive review of existing national legislation on DNA databases, visit the website of the Council for Responsible Genetics.
The GeneWatch UK briefing outlines the human rights issues associated with the expansion of DNA databases worldwide.
If you would like to share information about your own country or seek more information, please contact us.
- Forensic Genetics Policy Initiative
- Forensic Genetics Policy Initiative (website)
- Council for Responsible Genetics: GeneWatch magazine: Forensic DNA
- GeneWatch PR: Scientists and Royals both have responsibility for human rights 12th March 2011
- GeneWatch, CRG and PI PR: Prince Andrew linked to Blair plan to DNA test whole population of UAE 11th March 2011
Council for Responsible Genetics: National DNA databases (13th January 2011)
An extensive analysis of DNA database legislation worldwide.
- GeneWatch briefing: DNA databases and human rights 12th January 2011
- Press articles
- Nautilus: The odds of innocence (November 2013)
- Conscious Life News: Government DNA Databases: Is your Privacy at Risk? (3rd September 2013)
- Associated Press: Spread of DNA databases sparks ethical concerns (12th July 2013)
- New Scientist: DNA super-network increases risk of mix-ups (5th September 2011)
- The Guardian: Prince Andrew urged to undergo human rights awareness training (11th March 2011)
- Public Service: Palace denies 'shameful' database link (11th March 2011)
- External links
- Forensic Magazine
- The US International Criminal Investigative Training Assistance Program (ICITAP): Forensics
- Promega: International Symposium on Human Identification Conference Proceedings (1991 to date)
Promega: Forensic Connect
Industry news site
The Global Alliance for Rapid DNA
Industry lobby group
- Fiodorova (2012): International DNA Framework
- International Commission on Missing Persons: ICMP Launches Online DNA Database to Assist DNA Laboratories and Manufacturing Companies (23rd August 2013)
- ENFSI: DNA-DATABASE MANAGEMENT REVIEW AND RECOMMENDATIONS ENFSI DNA Working Group (April 2013)
- Mestman R (2012) Interpol DNA Hit Catches International Serial Rapist - Only the Second Interpol DNA Hit with the United States
- AllAfrica.com: Africa: 2011- A Ground-breaking Year for INTERPOL's Future (30th December 2011)
Privacy International: European Privacy and Human Rights
This resource produced by Privacy International, the Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC) and the Center for Media and Communications Studies (CMCS) includes information on DNA databases in European countries (see the bottom category in right-hand menu on the map).
- Rand Corporation: Toward a Comparison of DNA Profiling and Databases in the United States and England (2010)
European Network of Forensic Science Institutes
Documents on DNA databases in Europe.
Website including an international map of DNA databases and policy information, produced by Gordon Thomas Honeywell on behalf of the DNA industry.
Interpol: Interpol Handbook on DNA data exchange and practice (2009)
In order to obtain a global overview of the use of DNA profiling in criminal investigations among its 188 member countries, INTERPOL has conducted three surveys since 1999. The results of the latest survey, completed in 2008, are based on replies from 172 member countries. To date, INTERPOL is aware of 120 countries that are known to use DNA profiling in their police investigations and 54 countries that are known to have a national DNA Database.
- Interpol: International DNA exchange (ppt) (September 2009)
- Interpol: Global DNA profiling survey: Results and analysis (2008)
- GeneBanc: National Forensic DNA Databases: Socio-ethical challenges and current practices in the EU (2007)
- Council of The European Union: DNA databases to assist with criminal investigations (16th June 2006)
- Interpol: Global DNA database inquiry: Results and analysis (2002)